Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Seeing the blessings through a trial!

Soooo..... I feel extremely blessed this week! Ya know, it's soooo crazy to me that we sometimes forget how blessed we truly are until a trial happens. Well, my baby's been sick. And there is NOTHING worse than that. I can't tell you how many thousands of times I wished it was me in his place!!!! Well, everything started on firday morning...... Peyton and I were out weeding the flowerbeds and Eric had just gone back to the barns to put away the cows when Peyton just started screaming. I turned around and he dropped the shovel from his hands and grabbed his stomach. My first thought was that he was trying to shovel and rammed the shovel into his gut..... so I wasn't too worried. I picked him up to console him but he just kept crying and crying. He started thrashing around and kicking me and just saying gibberish. We ended up going inside so we could cuddle on the couch but just kept crying. He would occasionally stop for a few seconds and start to go play, then double over and hold his stomach again. After 10 minutes I felt like something was seriously wrong.... i just started crying cause I couldn't handle seeing Peyton like that, and I called Eric. He was coming back to the house in a couple minutes. As I sat there crying next to Peyton trying to console him, Peyton would look at me and see me crying..... he'd stop for a couple seconds, kiss me on the forehead and then double over in pain again.


















My baby is sooooo sweet! AFter Eric came in we gave him some pain meds and Eric gave him a blessing.

As Eric was blessing him, Peyton fell fast asleep. He took a good little nap while I just held him and he woke up happy as a clam. We went back outside and Eric let him ride around on the tractor with him as he did his chores. It wasn't till we were back inside that Peyton had another "episode" of holding his belly and crying for awhile. I had no idea what to do........ he'd been perfectly happy for a few hours then his pain started again randomly. I called the doctor on call and he said that if Peyton had another "episode" then we should take him to the E.R. because it sounded like appendicitis. After speaking with him we called a doctor from our ward....... he helped us out and we were able to "check for appendicitis" at home as best we could and we all really felt that it couldn't be that.
Bro. Olson (the doc) recommended that if he had another episode we should prolly just take him to the E.R. anyway to figure everything out. Well,we all went to bed..... this is Peyton above right before bed. He put on Eric's socks!!! Haha, but between him crying... he really was just soooo happy. It was confusing. Well, that night was a LONG one!!!! He woke up soooo many times just uncomfortable and would hold his stomach. But he wouldn't do the full blown screaming and crying. I would just snuggle him and get as comfortable as possible and we'd doze back offf to sleep!!! Well, finally at 5, we gave up trying to sleep. We went downstairs together, gave him some pain meds, water, adn snuggled on the couch. After a bit he fell back asleep and slept soundly until Eric got back from the barn. I called Eric right after he dozed off and told him we needed to go to the E.R........ he was milking but as soon as he was done we were heading off to the hospital!!! So off to Hershey Medical Center we went. UUgggghhhhhh..........then for the worst part of all. All the testing to figure out what was going on!!

They started with Xrays........ (couldn't go in with him because of being pregnant), then inserted an IV (that was horrible), drew for blood work, then an ultrasound. The ultrasound is where they diagnosed this condition. I still can't remmeber the name for it...... but it's when your colon folds in on itself. YOUCH!!!! No wonder he was crying sooo much!!
As we were waiting for someone to come get us for "his procedure" (they were giving him an air enema where they stick a hose up your rear and with concentrated air source, hopefully blow your colon back out of itslef.) As we were waiting, Eric fell asleep (as usual) and Peyton did too (thanks to the morphine they gave him through his IV to help with his pain)

Yeah his IV hand is ginormous!!!!! They had to wrap it all crazy liek that so he wouldn't rip it out. Then a nurse came to get him for his procedure. He looked sooooo small on that big bed. He was a lot happier (and sleepier though) because of the morphine.
Right after his procedure!!! I couldn't go in with him AGAIN because of the radiation they use to see the air through the colon in real time. Let me tell you how comforting it was that Eric was with him throughout everything though. Peyton never had to feel alone cause he always had his daddy!!! After he was all fixed up, there was a night and day change!!!! He was all healed... his colon was back to normal and he was happy as could be again! BUT, we had to stay overnight at the hospital because of the chance of it reoccurring within the first 24 hours after it's fixed. Eric had to go back to the farm then... and Peyton and I waited for the nurse to come get us so we could have a regular room.

And here's our regular room.... and Peyton's new jail cell... I mean, bed. Seriously though... look at this thing. Right after we got there, I told them that this whole arrangement wasn't gonna fly. I was staying overnight with him and wanted to cuddle. The nurses told me that they had to tell me that they prefer that we didn't co-sleep but I didn't care...... so while we waited for a different bed... Peyton looked at all of his stickers. Over and over and over and over and over again.... Every procedure/test they did on him, the nurses gave him an average of 6 new stickers!!! He was pretty thrilled with all of them.
Then his new bed!!! Soooooo much better! The downside of the rest of our time at the hospital was the fact that Peyton couldn't eat solids the rest of that day and he had to keep his IV in. Well, in Peyton's mind, nothing was wrong anymore. His tummy felt ALLL better and he wanted to run around and explore. So basically, I counted down the minutes till Eric could come back and give me a break.... haha. Peyton wanted to wander the halls..... I would clumsily follow behind him with his huge IV cart and try to keep up. After a coupel hours, one of the nurses came to me and said, "You know there's a playroom right?" WHAATTTTTT???? No, I guess i hadn't caught that. So after I forced Peyton to take a good nap..... (mean mom I know,, but he was pooped) we went to the playroom. That pretty much became our new room from there on out....... when Peyton was awake, that's where he wanted to be.
He was super annoyed with that crazy IV. It was good when Eric got ther, (he brought me some good strawberry crepes from Bob Evans and we took turns eating somewhere that Peyton couldn't see us because he still couldn't eat solids and he was starving!!) we all hung out and Eric left to go home to sleep since he had to milk in the morning. Despite being hooked to a crazy IV and being hungry, Peyton slept AWESOME!!! AND, that was even with all the nurses coming in periodically to check on him throughout the night. We were a little leery because he held his stomach and cried for just a couple seconds a couple times before bed and we were super worried that his colon had regressed. I'm telling you, I prayed soooooooo hard that everything was ok and that his body would heal and we could go home the next day.

Doctors were called in to check him over and to keep a super close eye on him and thankfully, our prayers were answered. Everything was ok and he slept great!! The next morning.... Eric was able to join us right after milking and stay with us till we went home. Right before Eric got there, the nurse came in and let us unhook Peyton from the IV stand (the needle and everything was still in his wrist so we could reinsert the IV when we got back up to the room) so we could go down to the cafeteria and get me something to eat ANDDDD Peyton was allowed ot eat solids!!!! HALLELUJAHHH!!!!! the nurses gave me a $10 ticket that I cuold use on ANYTHING in the cafeteria for breakfast. I lvoe free food!!! Well, after a long agonizing decision and a little boy that was going WILD because he was sooooo excited that he wasn't hooked up to that crazy stand we decided on scrambled eggs, cereal, biscuits adn gravy, chocolate milk and bacon. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! Yeah, we were in heaven. We saved half of it for Eric, cause we're that nice. And actually, all that food was for me because the nurses brought up a tray all for Peyton with cereal...... scrambled eggs, french toast sticks and lots of juice. So we ate a darn good breakfast.... and even beter. When we got back to our room, the nurse had previously told us that we had to rehook his IV but.... when we returned, they said he didn't need it anymore. (They were weighing each of his diapers to make sure his intake, and output made sense and they didn't make him reattach his IV because the weight of the diapers was sufficient) So we spent most of the day in the playroom. It was actually really fun.... Peyton ran wild/no attachments and Eric and I did some airhockey!!

For lunch we ate well again and then we were just biting the bit to get home. After returning from one of our ventures to the playroom, one of the nurses told us we could go home at 3!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!
A couple minutes before going home, the nurse removed his IV from the wrist. Good riddance!! This is Peyton putting his sterile gloves on to clean up our room before departing. haha.

Really, we have felt sooo blessed throughout the whole thing. Peyton's problem was a quick fix.... he loved it at the hospital for the most part, despite not having any family there we never felt alone due to so many concerned friends and family's phonecalls, emails, and texts!!! We were able to go home teh soonest that one can go home from something like that, some friends from our ward brought us dinner for the night we got home from the hospital (soooooooooo appreciated, we were pooped!!!!!!) and somebody else brought us two meals to stick in the fridge or freezer for later. We've felt all the prayers from our loved ones, and peyton has bounced back like nothing happened.
This is Monday. He wanted to be outside with his daddy all day long and Eric's really good at letting Peyton "help". They rounded up the cows, rode on the tractor, washed up the milk room, etc. He's our lil farm boy that's for sure. So grateful Peyton is all better. It was super scary at first jsut not knowing what was wrong with our baby!!!! peyton is the sweetest kid ever..... and the nurses loveeedd him. Peyton had his favorite as well........ a nurse that had a ducky necklace. When you squeeze the ducky it quacks, def the coolest thing ever to Peyton.

The other stressful factor of the weekend was the fact that I was supposed to give a talk in sacrament meeting. We called the counselor over talks and let him know...... on Sunday evening, when one lady brought us over the couple of meals I asked her how church had gone. Turns out that the speakers consisted of me (youth speaker), her (lady who brought over meals, Sis. Kensinger) and the stake patriarch. She told me that Saturday evening as she put the finishing touches on her talk, she had the distinct impression that she shoudl make it longer. Weird she thought, but she did anyway. WOW, it's amazing how the spirit works and how everything works out!!
























No comments:

Post a Comment