Thursday, May 30, 2013

A new kind of happy

So the other day we were clearing part of our grass to widen our driveway.  With the skid steer, Eric was scraping the top of the sod off and I was edging everything with a shovel.  Eric finished doing everything with the sod quick and so came to help me.  We only have one legit shovel.... the other one is a snow shovel and just does NOT work for what we were doing.  So Peyton was using that one, "being a big helper" of course.  Eric came over and said, "I got it Bre." as he reached for my shovel.  I brought the shovel in close and told him I had it handled.  At that moment, a familiar fierceness took over.  That feeling that girls can do it just as well as boys.  That I can do anything... and I was doing a great job so why did Eric need to do it!  He looked at me curiously and smiled.  "What?" I questioned him.  "You just usually let me do all the harder jobs." he said.

It was in that moment that I felt my whole self return!!!  I am that girl that's always taken great pride in doing things...... especially the hard things.  Manual labor makes me feel good.  I know lots of girls shirk from it but it's my favorite.  It's been such a long journey for us since we've been married.  Eric fell in love with a hard working farm girl who wasn't afraid to jump into any project right alongside him.  Then depression hit...... right after we got married.  Some days it was all I could do just to get out of bed.  June 13th marks our 5th year anniversary!  It's so crazy to me but it's taken me five whole years to find myself again!  

How did I find her?  With a shovel in my hand!! 
I truly am the happiest I've been in years!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment