I've got to write down some of my experiences before they fade away as a lost memory. This story that I'm about to tell starts four years ago.
Eric and I were living in Massey, Maryland and attended Smyrna ward in Delaware. Our best friends, the Shahan's had some good friends, Helen and Leann. Leann had been Rachelle's sister's best friend growing up...... Helen was Leann's mama. Well, Leann ended up getting baptized and Helen was heartbroken. Helen was a HUGE anti-mormon! Well super looonnnnggg story short..... the Lord definitely softened Helen's heart right up! I really got to know her first when she came to a Relief Society Activity for our church.
I had been asked to sing a beautiful song, "Live like you believe" for that evening. After that evening she came up to me with tears in her eyes thanking me for the beautiful song. I felt a kinship with her then. A couple weeks later, I got a phone call from Helen asking me if I'd be willing to sing that song for her baptism. Of course I said yes. I remember what a joyous day it was when she was baptized. So many tears of joy were spread!! Helen has one of the most kind souls I've ever met.
Fast forward the four years. We've moved around a few times since then but one day I got a phone call from Rachelle. She was inquiring if I would be willing to sing for Helen's funeral when she died one day. Surprised, but I definitely said yes. As it turned out, Helen had a very large brain tumor and her expectancy was very very short. Helen wanted to plan her funeral herself so it wouldn't be a burden to anyone after she was gone.
I then went to Utah for a month. A couple weeks after I returned, I was cleaning my kitchen when I heard an audible voice whisper that I needed to practice the song for Helen. I complied and ran through the song a few times. I then checked my facebook....... Rachelle, Helen, and Leann are avid facebookers and I knew that if Helen's status had changed, it would be on there. No word. I practiced the song quite a few times that day. And as strange as it may seem, I felt Helen's love as I ran through the song. It warmed me inside and out.
The next day, I came down with a horrible cold. One of the worst I've had in quite some time. I couldn't sing a lick....... it was also the day that Helen died.
The funeral was scheduled a week from that day. As the week progressed my anxiety levels rose. I knew how much it meant to Helen to have that song sung at her funeral. The day before the funeral, and I still couldn't sing a lick. I had sooooo many thoughts run through my head that day. I almost called Rachelle numerous times to bail on her because I really could not sing.
Instead I decided to have a little faith. I received a priesthood blessing, we all piled into our car and headed down to Delaware the day of. I attempted to sing the song a couple different times in the car as we drove..... still nothing. Surprisingly, I was calm. My heart was at peace. I think I knew a miracle was about to happen.
When we got to the church.... our accompaniment hadn't shown. She finally made it a few minutes right before the ceremony started. We ran through the song a grand total of ONE and a half times.... my voice still not up to par. She was frazzled because her day had been so crazy and she'd been late. But as we said a prayer together, I felt even more at peace. I knew that it would be alright.
Helen's funeral was beautiful. It was joyful..... full of wonderful stories about her life. Wonderful testimonies were born! Then we were up. As I looked over the congregation at so many familiar faces I started to feel the nerves. I started into the song and I was cracking all over the place. I couldn't sing!!! I felt panicky for a couple seconds thinking, "Maybe it wasn't God's will that a miracle happen today." Then, as I looked over taht crowd again at a rest......... I saw smiles, I saw support and love. And that's when I felt the prayers from the week, the prayers from the crowd, Helen's spirit buoy me up.
My voice became clear, the music swelled! I had not only walked forward in faith, I leaped and I know because of that, we were so blessed.
I'm grateful to a Heavenly Father that knows everything! He loves us and wants us to have faith in Him. I had been inspired to practice that song right before my sickness hit so that I was prepared. A definite miracle. God is good!!
No comments:
Post a Comment